Saturday, December 16, 2017

Show #292

Hello Friends of the Garden!

I was up early for a Saturday, 5:00 AM. It was still dark out; you could still see stars. None of that bothered me because I was on a mission! I’m cooking a brisket for a party tonight! Ever since I got my smoker I have had phenomenal results on anything I’ve cooked on it! To me, brisket is the pinnacle of barbequing! A good brisket is a wonderful thing!

I’ve written before on the religious-like following that this entire nation has with barbeque. Just like dialects, this nation provides a broad taste of variations on a theme! I have found myself subconsciously drawn in to this “Jedi” of meats counter culture. Funny, “Meat Church” comes to mind! Like I said it’s a religion to some! Central Texas is home to some heavy weight cooks and meatchurch.com has all kinds of information for a novice.

As a result of my inquiry, I’m cooking this brisket “fat side” down. I had always been a proponent of otherwise, but I was swayed by competitive championship barbequers! I’ve also trimmed much more of the fat off than ever before. You can learn a lot online. I watched videos with focused attention as to prepare and cook this brisket the way champions do!

Reflecting on my attitude about cooking made me realize a passion I’ve acknowledged but never given it the credit it deserves! Cooking made me want to study! What!?! Cooking made me want to watch videos over and over so I didn’t miss an important part. Cooking had me comparing and contrasting opposing views on specific strategies to insure success. It made me want a better knife!

I think this is my fifth or sixth brisket I’ve cooked since I’ve gotten my smoker. Each one has been better than the last! The last brisket was over sixteen pounds and it didn’t make it past 10:00! It was totally consumed, all of it! That was a fun party! I truly believe that the reason my briskets turn out so well is because of the passion I have for it. I’m not denying the pride that also comes with pleasing family and friends for something you took such care to prepare!

Truly it ends up a “win, win” situation! I get to feel good about my attempt at a Texas tradition and a bunch of friends enjoy the benefit of my zeal! See, this is the real point! If more people approached things with passion and the intent of pleasing people (i.e. making their lives better), then things would have to be better for all of us! With all the political drama and harassment going on a question keeps echoing in my head. Is this the best we can do? Are these the best representatives we can find? Where's the real passion for good? We have plenty of passion for power!

I don’t care if you’re a Republican or Democrat. Wouldn’t you want the best one you can find? It’s clear from all the news there’s plenty of swamp on both sides of the aisle! We should upgrade Congress. Imagine if all those people in Congress did their jobs the way I cook my brisket! Are these people really looking out for us? I don’t know!

Peace and love to you all!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment