Saturday, September 10, 2016

Show #226

Hello Friends of the Garden!

Mmm...Donuts!
Hard to beat coffee and donuts in the morning!

​I've never considered myself an organized person. I think that's because I've always looked at the people around me that are getting things done. Those people seem to convey an attitude of confidence and clarity even in the face of chaos! While many of us are busy trying to grasp and understand what is going on around us there are some people that already have a direction and purpose. Being in the presence of doers doing can be unsettling if you dwell on the process of evaluating your own capacity for productivity! I think I envy these salient, clear thinking examples of self-assurance! I said "I think" I envy those people, but I'm not sure if I truly do!

Braided ramp system on State Highway180! Huh?
It's easy for us to blame the times we live in when asked what keeps us from being confident in our choices in life. Without a doubt, our world is as complicated as it's ever been.......to me. That seems to be the stumbling block! To me, the world has changed dramatically and grown more complex, more convoluted, and more difficult to understand. 

The result seems to be a "knee jerk" reaction to a call for a return to simpler times! We glorify the "Good Old Days" as a benchmark to contrast against the difficulties recognized by the present. Generally, it's a presumed response from "older" people that the "Good Old Days" were better in every regard; everything was cheaper, everything was more durable, people were friendlier, the world was safer, rules were clearer, we ate together at dinner, we weren't distracted by technology, sports were pure, you can fill in the rest and more! Of course all these things are as true as they are untrue, it's all perspective!
Me, sweaty from dancing! Chris, sweaty from Playing!

This Thursday I went to see The Chris Cain Band play at Fulton 55. I had seen Chris Cain before years ago at the Santa Cruz Blues Festival with my dear departed friend Allen. My mind raced to those sunny afternoon's in Aptos surrounded by all my friends, dancing and grooving to the music. Snapping back to the present at Fulton 55, I was greeted by a bunch of old friends I don't see as often as I used to. Another flood of memories washed through my mind! I danced! I laughed! I cried (but not in a way that anyone could see)! I was pulled in to the vortex of "The Good Old Days"!

On Friday, back at school (which was a little slower thanks to Thursday), I started my day like I do by greeting my kids at the door when they come to my classroom. As I waited for the last stragglers to enter I looked for a little 6th grade girl I'll call Sally (no girls are named Sally or Jane anymore). 


The day before I recognized Sally had been upset about something. Sally had a raw, red nose from a cold or something. She had tears in her eyes. I got all the other kids working independently and sat down by Sally to find out what was going on. Sally told me she was missing her Mom. I told her I miss mine too! I told Sally not to even bother with the work I had given the other kids and to just relax. I found the school counselor and she took Sally to help calm her. 

It made me think, surely these aren't "The Good Old Days" for Sally! Us older people generally say our youth was our "Good Old Days"! I didn't see that for Sally on Thursday and Friday! I hope Sally's "Good Old Days" are ahead of her! 


Later, when Sally returned to my classroom she gave me a "thumbs up" when I asked how she was doing. I knew it was not all better, but it was some better. Sally proceeded to draw a precious picture of me and gave me a hug and a smile on her way out! I felt good that I could do the right thing at the right time! I'm working on that!

Folks, these are the "Good Old Days"! I'm still having "Good Old Days", they're mixed right in there with the other "Not so good days"! All we have to work with is now! If we look for the "Good Old Days" we'll find them! You do have to look though!

Here's Show #226! I'll admit, this week was really busy! It seemed like it carried over from last weekend when I thought I'd be at the coast but circumstances proved otherwise! I sat down and put together some favorites! I had run into Nate Butler that evening and he made me think of the music of my youth/good old days! He called it ProgRock. So the first set's for you Nate! The end of the 1st hour has a Memphis "Gardenerism", there's another later too! I'm playing a McCartney tune for Scooter. There's another new tune from The Sam Chase. The last half hour is capped with a run of "3" name guys you should all recognize by now! Good time fun everybody!

Thanks Jerry and Robin for working through each of your own technological issues to do your part. You two may see your part as minimal but, I know better! Thanks!

Thanks to all you that read this and or listen to the show! Please don't misconstrue the notion that I think I'm something more than I am! This has been more of an exercise of self-awareness rather than any attempt to sway anyone. I'd like to pull people together as opposed to pushing them away! I appreciate your patience and support!

Peace and love!

Mike

2 comments:

  1. What you did for Sally and how you comforted her, that's what makes you a great person and not just a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chuck! This job can make you look like a great person and an awful one all in the same day!

    ReplyDelete