Saturday, February 4, 2017

Show #247



Hello Friends of the Garden!


Morning rises over Lake Griffith. In
Tarpey there's no drainage! Soon they'll
be stocking it with fish!
Once again sleeping has been difficult. I was up extraordinarily early this morning. I think it's because I know I'll be going to another memorial service for a longtime family friend, Tom Howe. I think it's something that affects us all so differently. When I was younger I don't believe I noticed it as much as I do now. I suppose that's natural as you get older. Time is more relative than Einstein determined so many years ago.

Looks like Hwy. 33 between Avenal
and Reef City.
As a child, Summer vacation, my birthday, Christmas and other anticipated benchmark dates seemed so slow to arrive. Whenever we went on car trips with Mom and Dad, it always seemed so much further and took so much longer than it did as an adult. Now it seems that time picks up speed with age. The changes come quicker. The adjustments are more complicated and difficult. The loss of friends and family comes more often and with remarkable regularity.

The inevitable progression of life continues on. We all share the similar stages in life, childhood, adulthood, and old age yet, it is a solitary journey with all kinds of lessons along the way. I think about how different life is for my father-in-law, Larry. He's lost a mother, a father, a daughter, a wife, and several close friends, of which Tom was one. I can't imagine how he deals with the quiet moments, the pictures, the memories, the loneliness, but he does!

A tree in my front yard not struck by lightning,
just a pain to wake up to!
Having lost my Mother and Father and several close friends, I find myself on a path not so dissimilar than my father-in-law. Of course it's not dissimilar! There is no other path. You either carry on or, you are one of the loved ones that leaves an aching in the hearts of those who loved you. Widespread Panic's, "Old Joe"says it perfectly! Some day, somewhere, somethings get hit by lightning, others just don't, hope we live long and lucky.

Thanks David for helping me!
Would have been a lot harder
by myself! Love you Brother!
My radio show has taught me about the relativity of time. I have always said that those two hours pass by in an instant! Last week when my buddy Jerry was hanging with me in the studio, same thing! Even with another person there, time flew by! 

All of this has made me want to grab hold and try to have as many experiences and memories as I can. I am so gratified personally to be involved in another Rogue Show! My buddy John, sent me a link to a video of our final dress rehearsal of our first show. I choked up when I saw my recently departed friend Ty. He was so good! I hope to make my Mom and Ty proud with this years show! I know I'll have a spot in my heart that will feel good thinking about them!

On to Show #247! I've decided that until I have a dog in the fight, I'll do my radio show live over watching the Super Bowl. Call it sour grapes or whatever! I haven't done my show as much as I'd like to so there you are! I've also decided that I'll have a standard opening for Super Bowl weekend. So, my first set has that Monday Night Football theme from way back, Mojo Nixon and the comedy of Andy Griffith. From there I go head long in to an R&B/Funk/Soul thing. I had a suggestion from a friend that rarely listens that loves that music. He'll probably be watching the Super Bowl but oh well! Like Bob Sharp says, "You miss a little, you miss a lot!" The second hour is special! I'm giving a little preview of the music from our upcoming Rogue show. What makes it special is Ty Kanzler's, "Flower District" song. He recorded it at home but it makes me smile regardless of the sound quality. Somehow I work my way back to R&B again by the end. There are four first timers with this show and lots of other great tunes! Enjoy!

Thanks as always Jerry and Robin! Whether we spend a little time or a lot of time together, any time is well spent, every time!

Thanks to all of you listeners! I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to call and give me an update on the game! I'm at at least interested in the score, I'm in a pool!

Peace and love to you all!

Mike

2 comments:

  1. It must feel like old times huddling back together and working on another show. Those were good pictures! Glad to see you happy man. =) Miss you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This show is coming together in a different way than the first one. I feel confident that it will be every bit as good or better though. Thanks Chuck, I miss visiting with you too!

      Delete