Saturday, December 2, 2017

Show #290

Hello Friends of the Garden!

I still enjoy reading a newspaper. There’s just something about actually holding that big piece of paper. There’s a sense of normalcy embedded in the morning ritual. Even the way each of us choose what order we read the paper reinforces a kind of individuality that subtly says something about your own uniqueness. We are free to neglect any section we would like to and we don’t even give it a second thought to jump right to our favorite part. Since the newspaper isn’t sequential you don’t have to read it in any order, the antithesis of a regular book. There’s a freedom in that that is comforting to me!

I’m aware of my own pattern for reading the paper. The one part of the newspaper that I’m convinced is regularly wrong or contrived is the usually the first place I go to! I always look at my horoscope first, every time I sit down to read the paper. I know better but I still do it. I know there’s no way that a horoscope can provide any kind of reliable guidance. I still spend the rest of my day looking for little examples of alignment with my predestined day! I know, really dumb, huh?

I guess my obsession with a three sentence ambiguous forecast of my day comes from a deep-rooted need to be prepared for whatever comes my way that day. I don’t rely on a horoscope as my only source of security in truth it is merely a curiosity. I have spent a lifetime of being prepared as a teacher. I realize the folly it would be to follow my horoscope singularly. I still read it first!

After I read my horoscope I read whatever headline catches my eye. I often enjoy reading the Editorial section. It is fun to see what is on the minds of people motivated enough to write to the newspaper. I read a piece in our local newspaper in the Editorial section today. This article was entitled “You can’t live without faith”. At the onset I prepared my mind for the inherently polarized religious opinions to come.

I came away from reading that article feeling conflicted. The article really focused on raising kids to go to church so that they will have the same solace as their parents when the truly difficult times come. The strength, commitment, diligence, and perseverance that come from attending church will enable our kids to endure life’s challenges. I felt conflicted because the article never really spoke about faith. It really spoke to the charge parents have to raise their children.

I wanted to read about faith! I wanted to see personal examples. I wanted more evidence so I could understand better. Instead it was more about a narrow reason why having kids go to church will prepare them for life’s slings and arrows. I get it, really I do! Having kids learn to behave in a social setting is a good thing! I’m not sure even over time that that will be the thing that helps them get through the loss of a loved one.

Some of the things you read in the newspaper will shake your faith. Sometimes I draw a parallel with “God’s Mysterious Plan” and my horoscope. Both seem to be subject to similar wide and varied interpretation. A favorite of atheists is the, “What part of God’s plan is rape, mass murders, child defects, (ad infinitum)?”  I have to believe that faith cannot be constricted to religion alone. I do not disagree with needing faith. I believe faith is what keeps hope alive.

Everyone hopes for something! Real faith might be better if it is balanced like a diet. It should be based on a lot of things, things you’ve seen and witnessed and things you haven’t seen. I have faith that Antarctica is cold even though I’ve never been there. Faith should be something that is grown organically, not something acquired by birth. If we put our faith in action those things we hope for are more likely to happen either religiously or secularly! Faith is multidimensional. 

Remember that mustard seed story? That may be just for me!

Peace and love to you all!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment