Saturday, June 18, 2016

Show #214

Hello Friends of the Garden,


Wow, I'm slow again! This time I have a little bit of an excuse, I attended a wedding for my friends Jeff and Melissa on Friday. They were married at Glacier Point in Yosemite and their reception was at Yosemite Lodge. Jeff asked me if I would DJ their reception for them. 

I told him I would be happy to help him with the caveat that while I have a lot of music I don't necessarily have music they might want. Jeff assured me it would be alright and not to worry. Melissa however, had an Excel spreadsheet of music she wanted accompanied by a memory stick full of stuff. I recognized some of the music and most of it I didn't! It made me think of when Don Fischer was training me at KFSR. Don had told me to go grab several CD's and record something. I felt really weird trying to get excited about something I had no familiarity with at all!

This Friday I became more familiar with, Rihanna, Drake, Beyonce', Walk the Moon (?), Maroon 5, and countless others. I learned a lot! I learned that I know very, very little about "popular" music. I felt really old but oddly I felt really good too! I enjoyed watching the crowd enjoy themselves and that's where the connection was! They were dancing and jumping and whatever else and their spirits were free for a short time! That's me at a Widespread Panic concert! The fun and joy was the intersection that helped me bridge the gap. In the end we all had fun!

Yosemite and the wedding was beautiful! The other cool thing to me was getting to be part of another circle of friends and being welcomed so warmly! It was cool to hang with Tim, Jeff P.,David, J. Michael and Justin again. I wish the very best to my friends Jeff and Melissa in their marriage together. 

On a totally different note, I'm sorry that I didn't have time to meet with the President. Unfortunately, he was just arriving and I was on my way to more important things! It's a shame he missed his chance to meet me! Despite what you might hear, he seems like a cool guy! Oh well, he'll have other chances to meet up with me!

So, here's Show #214! There's a lot of "brand new" in this show! To start I cover a request form Sarah for more new Mudcrutch followed with new Honey Island Swamp Band and a cool Stones tune. The next set has all new stuff from The Hard Working Americans, The Sam Chase and the Untraditional, and Derek Hoke, all cool! Other new stuff from Ziggy Marley and Shawn Colvin are sprinkled through the rest. There's a pair of "Gardenerisms" on time and morning, some Robert Earl Keen for Jeff and three Tom Waits tunes all covered by female artists (huh?)! Lot's of fun stuff to hear!

Thanks as always Jerry and Robin! You guys are the best!

Thank you listeners! I hope you are enjoying your summer!

Peace, love and sunscreen!

Mike

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure the experience from the Fairmont carnival helped you immensely at Jeff and Melissa's wedding! =)

    ReplyDelete