Saturday, August 20, 2016

Show #223

Hello Friends of the Garden!


Well a new school year has started and along with it comes the rush of emotions that ensue for all involved. Like most things there's side to teaching that remains hidden to people that aren't a part of the profession. For instance, I only have a basic understanding of what all a lawyer does. I grew up watching Raymond Burr in Perry Mason and it was clear that presenting in court and standing before a judge and jury was the extent of my naive understanding. Later I would discover, after becoming a teacher, that many professions require regular classes of "professional growth'" to maintain their credentials.

I learned that teachers are no different and probably are the poster children for professional development. There was no way that I could have envisioned the way education looks today 27 years ago. What I did learn, and am still learning, is that teachers are born incomplete! Apparently there is no end to the ever-changing process of understanding the education of American society. 

For instance this year I'm challenged to learn how to make my lessons available on-line to students and parents. The biblical flood of "apps" to learn can be overwhelming. PowerSchool, Google Classroom, Edmodo, Khan Academy, ClassDojo, Canvas, Socrative, Google Docs, Illuminate, various web editors, SmartBoards, Kahoot, Presi, Remind Me, and on and on and on it goes with the next big answer for students and the next big challenge for teachers!

What ends up making your head spin is when you discover that the "app" you're learning that will save the world has been developed by someone who was in the classroom for 2 years! Meanwhile, Japan, who has been kicking our butts in Mathematics for years, still uses chalkboards! Imagine if they had everything we have here in America to "save" education! Surely they would become the master race of the planet with all that extra help from technology! 

Stupid sprinklers!
My best guess is that we have this hidden desire to fix things! Even things that aren't broken! The whole infomercial industry is a perfect example of the deep-rooted desire within us to seek ways to fix problems! If you don't click another link on this page make sure you check this out (Thanks Hound Dog). FiberFix will cure all our ills until the next great innovation comes along and we can collectively watch FiberFix become irrelevant!

There has been one constant I have observed in education! It always changes! The kids change, the target always moves and the way you're supposed to hit it changes too! Get your Google on folks, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Here's Show #223! Gear up and get ready this road goes on forever and the party never ends! Robert Earl Keen sets the tone for a great show! I've been revisiting some songs I love to play and some I haven't but should! There's an awesome set of Neil Young tunes! You all know I'm a "Spreadhead" and there's an obscure Neil Young tune "Don't Be Denied" that I saw Panic do at Red Rocks that was a wonderful moment for me! Then "Powderfinger", wow! The Marshall Tucker Band, Raul Malo (see Mavericks) and Beatles flow together in a cool way to me! The second hour begins with an allegory to my hopes and thoughts! The first three songs should be subliminally pumped throughout the world! Lots of you will love the Jason Isbell, Darrell Scott and Jackie Greene set! I'm sending out the Jerry Jeff walker to my wife and ending with John Hiatt for my friend Allen, that I can't seem to stop being reminded of! Miss you buddy! This show is classic Garden Party!

Busy or not, this Garden Party knows no season thanks to Jerry and Robin, we just keep on! Thanks you two, sincerely!

Thanks to all of you listeners and readers of this message! Share it with a friend if you think they might like my show and we can grow this show together!

Peace and love!

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Too many choices is never a good thing! It creates a lot of confusion and a little bit of doubt creeps in on the validity of what we're using as teachers!

    ReplyDelete