Saturday, November 5, 2016

Show #234

Hello Friends of the Garden,

Sometimes it's like this!
Well, I already ate my doughnuts this morning! The newspaper, a second cup of delicious Brazilian coffee, and NPR is my second favorite routine (doing the show being first) of the week!

Like most people, whenever I hear or read news that concerns my occupation I always turn an attentive ear. Last week it was piece on why so many teachers are leaving the profession. Having 28 years behind me, I feel like I can objectively reflect on the context of the topic. This morning I heard a news piece on Junior High School suicide rates on NPR. Naturally, I was swept away with feelings of sadness and confusion. 

A new rage for the nation!
I have the hardest time with understanding the extremes that are presented daily through the media. I don't believe I will ever understand why people commit suicide, murder, rape, commit acts of cruelty on people or animals, and take advantage of others weakness for their own financial and political profit.  I realize that news is intentionally sensationalized to attract an audience. The consequence is to second guess the origin and intention of whatever is being reported. That is when doubts and conspiracy theorists flourish

Obviously, this being an election year, everything has kicked into overdrive! Media allows us to believe and scrutinize whatever we choose to believe, and to be completely affirmed of our beliefs! If you want to, you can believe we are about to elect an entrenched politician, bent on rewriting the Constitution, careless to the security of the nation and capable of swaying any outcome through influence or; a millionaire Washington outsider that has reignited a racial division, a TV personality that publicly demeans women and anyone that gets in the way, that prides himself on making deals with a record of being hit and miss!

Seriously, is this the best we can do? According to what we have been shown, is there anything redeeming about either of them? Have we reached a pinnacle, or can we ascend to greater heights of dysfunction? I remember when I was much younger during the Reagan administration and his "trickle down" economic policy. In spite of any policies invoked after Reagan, the result has become even more skewed
Bottom line folks!

I consider myself to be of relative, average intelligence. I have met and know a whole lot of people that are far more intelligent than I am! I have to believe that there are a whole lot of people in our country that are really smart! Not only smart, but a host of people enlightened enough to be impartial in their judgement. Seems like we should be looking for these people to guide us instead of the least dirty among us! 

Old guy voting by mail
so I can avoid being
harassed at the polling
place!
I have friends that I would trust implicitly with my possessions and family's well being, and have done so! Wouldn't it be cool to say that about the people that represent us in ALL forms of government? If such a simple mind as mine could conceive of such a notion; couldn't the smart people make it happen? I think we might be looking in the wrong direction!

On to Show #234! Speaking of influence and smart people, there's a decidedly "Hound Dog" feel to my first hour with Dr. John, Anders Osborne & Monk Boudreaux, New Orleans Nightcrawlers and The Rebirth Brass Band. This gives way to The Steve Kimock Band and guitar extraordinaires Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughn. The second hour begins with a request for Richard Thompson from Shawn that provides the "Fresno's 10" and also features first timers, The Bellfuries, G. Love and Seattle's Too Slim & the Taildraggers. There's Dwight Yoakam with a cool new updated version of Guitars and Cadillacs from his new album. Lots here folks! I'm excited to get this show on the road!

Thanks Jerry and Robin! I know I've been busy lately! It is a comfort to know you guys are always there for me. I never take it for granted!

Thanks to all of you that read this and or listen to my show! Thank you for allowing me  to learn more about myself through all of this. If I offend or bore you with any of this please know that that is not my intention. I'm just thinking!

Peace and love,

Mike

1 comment:

  1. I like your "election" edition of the S.G.P. Wednesday morning, we'll figure out in which direction this country is going to go.

    ReplyDelete