Sunday, March 12, 2017

Show #252

Hello Friends of the Garden,

Obsessed with size!
What a wonderful morning it is! Saturday is here again and I'm at my spot in the garage with my coffee and the paper. This is an exercise in "utility" that has enormous therapeutic quality. I definitely use my Saturday mornings to reflect, slow down, take a breath and remind myself of all the things I've been blessed with!

Me and my good friend John
Alden! Working things out for
the Rogue Festival.
When I first started drinking coffee I used to have the impression that this is what many people use to wake up and get their day started. Later, I learned that some people use coffee to recover from having too much fun the night before! Now, I feel like coffee means setting aside some time to think and reflect. I wish I had spent more time thinking and processing my feelings when I was younger. I'm certain I would have avoided at least some of the self inflicted wounds I've given myself over the years.

Too much, way too much stuff!
The only trouble with all that reflection and thinking is if you don't follow up on it without doing anything with it, then why do it at all? I have been "thinking" about cleaning up my garage for a couple of years now. I have made myself keenly aware of the benefits of having a clean garage. Aside from the obvious, like being able to find things, I have discovered the residual affect it has on my wife. 

Ok, here's the formula, get "ringers"
like Max Debbas and Debi Ruud and
your chances for success are way
better!
Although my wife only spends a minuscule amount of time in the garage, I have found that it pleases her greatly to have a clutter free walk from her car to inside the house. Of course this divides a whole group of people who's car is not presently inside their garages for a host of reasons. I have one friend that has a three car garage and there is no space for any of his cars! 

Another "ringer" and new companion
Debbie Dailey didn't know she would
have to act too! She was great!
I won't deny that I do really want to have a tidy garage for my own satisfaction but, even better is how it pleases my wife! Don't be surprised if Dr. Oz has a show about improving your sex life by having a clean garage! Seems like all the things that you need to do for your own good requires some kind of sacrifice and effort! Seriously, how bad would you like to improve your sex life? Bad enough to clean the garage? Imagine the possible responses!

Larry Lindberg and Steve
Ono 2/5ths of the "Flat
Growlers"
While cleaning my garage I've had time to contemplate my latest focus, our Rogue Festival show! Our group/troupe has one last show tonight and I have to admit to feeling a little bittersweet about it. It came to an end so quickly! There has been a lot of work and effort put in by so many along the way! Each successive show has been better and better and more and more satisfying! 

Don Priest and Mike Smith 2 more
fifths of the "Flat Growlers"
The transition from rehearsing to performing has been a lot like waiting in line at Magic Mountain for "X-2". The wait in line seems like forever, then the ride is over in seconds! The tedious work involved in getting to the performance seems so worth it now that our group has experienced the thrill of bringing our production to the public. There are a lot more smiles, compliments, laughter and just pure love among many of us as we collectively witness the finished product. 

The 5th Growler and
mandolin madman
John Fowler!
When you are as dumb as I am, everyday is an opportunity to learn something! I like to think of myself as being very average. So, it should make you feel confident that even the average are capable of realizing the room for greater understanding. This Rogue Festival show has come with it's own lessons.

Valerie Priest and scene
stealing Mike Smith!
Here's my big lesson learned! In 1993 when Chris Farley interviewed Paul McCartney on SNL, he asked him about the meaning of the song "The End". Farley asked, "Is that true? The love you take is equal to the love you make." My greatest joy is to slip off away and observe all the joy and laughter of my friends. I can't help but feel a sense of pride at being a part of bringing some happiness to the world.

Joey Arriola in a moment of clarity!
So, yes it is true, the love you take is equal to the love you make! In the end it's not about things, it's about the memories. When my Dad passed away I took some of his clothes, his hat and his boots! I cherish those things but not nearly as much as the memories I have locked away! The memories of that one time a bunch of my friends put on a show and made a town laugh is worth much, much more than any gift or thing! It took a lifetime to learn this one!

Mike Golding all purpose, all
powerful!
On to Show #252! This week I can't think of any great entertainment competition so, no excuses everybody! This show starts normal and ends jamming! The first hour has an Americana feel to it and ends a little nostalgically. The second hour is an onslaught of "Jam Bands"! First timers on the show this week are Sarah Jarosz, Bloodkin, Bishop Black and Raq. I'm excited to play the Umphrey McGee tune, try not to miss it! It made me think of our buddy Tyson and some of the stories I had heard! You'll like it!

Glen Westersund looks better in
my Dad's hat than I do!
Thank you Jerry and Robin as always! Jerry congratulations on the birth of another grandchild! Robin, thank you for your patience with my zealousness regarding my play! It feels so good feeling good again (thanks REK)!

Mr. Silky voice, Don Weaver 
Hey, if you want off this list just send a note to us and you won't have to be bothered with this message any more! It won't hurt my feelings! I can tell you I'll keep writing because this is more about learning than earning your respect or agreement. Most of you who know me know this about me; I'm not trying to persuade anyone about anything. I would never presume to have a greater knowledge of anything, just the desire to understand myself more! So many of you are so very supportive and you have contributed to my own growth! I'm so thankful!

Jennifer Kanzler and me!
My Dad's boots. I can wear 'em
but, I'll never fill them!
Peace and love to you all!

Mike

1 comment: