Saturday, July 2, 2016

Show #216

Hello Friends of the Garden!

For some reason my mind is stuck on technology right now. Along with the myriad of other things/ideologies/beliefs that divide us into neat little groups, technology does the exact same thing. Just think of how many older people you know that have no inclination to learn anything to do with the "modern" conveniences afforded to us by technology. We're not just divided by age with technology. We're unwittingly divided by our own choices and it's gone way beyond Mac vs. PC. Think about it, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, My Space, AOL, Kik, Pintrest, ancestry.com, Ebay, Craigslist more and more choices of how and where you invest your time.

"This will make your life simpler and easier!', it's always been the mantra for technology. If you ask my father-in-law if working his iPad is simpler and easier, I don't think I'd get a resounding affirmation! I'm every bit as certain that the youth of today will face the exact same issues as those of us overwhelmed by the flood of ideas designed to make our lives "simpler and easier". How many of you remember saying something to effect of, "Well, I just let my 10 year old figure it out. They are much quicker than I am at figuring this stuff out!" One day, that youth will be old too and then they will turn to the "new youth" to keep pace!

Faster, simpler, easier, why? On the surface the argument seems to be that the whole, "faster, simpler. easier" thing is about time. Saving time and exerting as little mental energy seem to be the big selling points. But saving time to do what? The average Facebook user spends just under an hour a day on just Facebook. The other day I was having a beer with Jerry and I looked across at three friends sitting at the bar. All three of them had their phones out, studying them intently. In all the time I watched them they never said much to each other.

I wonder what Joshua Brown did with the time he saved? Joshua Brown earned his distinction in history by being the first to die in an auto-pilot/self-driven car. Of course there will be all sorts of "Monday morning quarterbacking" regarding the incident. I guess I'm stuck on what did he do with the time he saved not giving his attention to driving? 

Believe me, I'm no Luddite! Technology isn't any more bad or good than guns or alcohol! It's more how you use them and the balance of that and the "other" important things in life. My balance has been gardening, music, Tiki carving, learning string art, collecting sea glass and creating as many memories with my friends and family as I can! So much of technology is "vapor" and pales in comparison to the "other" important things!

Sorry, I was subconsciously thinking of harmony and balance.

On to Show# 216! I think I may done this before! Yes, I'm sure I have! Count on hearing Timbuk 3 every Memorial Day and Fourth of July! There are three songs about the 4th to finish that set. From that point I cover several themes of 4th of July activities; having the day off, fireworks, drinking, fishing, and moonlight! I cover a request from last week for J.J. Cale from Chad to his beautiful wife Jennifer. It should be perfect barbecue music, enjoy!

Thanks as always Jerry and Robin, we're zipping along on our way to show 300, one show at a time!

Thank you listeners, please feel free to call the studio during the show or leave a note at my blog site. You could even make a request there if you like!

Peace and love!

Mike

1 comment:

  1. There's just too much new technology to catch up! The same can be said especially towards education and technology. It's like a buffet, too much to choose from.

    ReplyDelete