Friday, July 22, 2016

Show #219


First, I'd like to say thank you to my wife! Today was our 38th anniversary! Everything good in my life has had her touch on it! Having you in my life has given me the confidence to do what otherwise I would have thought impossible! I love you!



Twenty-two years ago my wife and I bought a tiny little one bedroom house Cambria. Tiny is perfect for me! I'd rather not have to do anything here if I can help it! Unfortunately, owning an older home always comes with it's issues. That's fine, I don't mind so much, I've always had a knack for doing things and being handy. 

I think I've been working on the roof since we've owned the place. The old plumbing is the real issue. Water is really expensive here and even a small leak can be devastating to your bill. I can testify to this via a $400.00 bill for water we had one month. Now we have a very small house here, about 500 sq. ft., one bathroom, no laundry, so, we don't even have enough house to use water conspicuously. 

Like I said before our old plumbing is an issue and the diverter valve that diverts water from the tub to the shower has been acting up. When you turn the valve a lot of water still runs in to the tub, even though it's turned all the way. Taking a shower and watching all that water run straight from the tub spout to the drain feels like ordering two beers at a bar and pouring out one and drinking the other. 

Well, I finally had enough time to attend to the plumbing this week. No matter what it is I do at the coast house it requires a trip to the hardware store!
The running joke I have with my wife, myself and the employees down at the hardware store is how many trips to the hardware store will it take to get the job done. I'm really glad the folks there are friendly! I'm also glad they don't know me well enough to kid me yet. I've seen when some locals have been in for their second time in a day and they can be tough on you in a nice way if you know what I mean.

The worst part (or best part however you look at it) about going to the hardware store is checking out! Their "impulse buy" stuff at the counter might as well be heroin! They have had an assortment of every handy gadget you can imagine over the twenty years I've been going there! I'm telling you it is irresistible! I bought yet another flashlight this time. I'm a sucker!

I'd say my A.T.H P.J. (Average Trips to Hardware store Per Job) rating is in the 2.1 area. I think it's been steadily going down over time (it's like golf, you want a low score). I've had several 3 trip days and that third trip can be humbling let me tell you! This time it was another 3 trip but not all in the same day so, it's not as bad but not good either!

In the end it got fixed and I know it was a lot cheaper than calling a "real" plumber cause all it cost was a flashlight from the impulse section and a few parts! Feels good to have it done! Now back to relaxing! Tomorrow I'll hunt for sea glass again. Here's a piece I found today AP (after plumbing).
Here's show #219! I had fun putting this together. I did it all from my deck at the coast house. There's no doubt if you've ever listened to KPIG out of Santa Cruz and simulcast as KPYG in Cambria you'll notice a similarity in my show. It's the only station I've ever heard Widespread Panic, Jerry Jeff Walker and James Mcmurtry on! So, while listening and doing research. I crafted a show. I love the message from first timer Sam Bush. Joining Sam Bush as first timers on the SGP are Chuck Brodsky and Peter Wolf (J. Geils). Fresh off the Panic show I had to play Blackout Blues (via Scooter enjoy buddy). Got a Jamey Johnson tune for my buddy Kurt (you'll like the follow up too). The Brothers Comatose tune I could only find on You-Tube (Jerry you're gonna love it and thanks John). I have some Jackie Greene to finish the first hour. Jackie will be at Fulton 55 Sunday August 7th. I'll be there! I'll record my show to do it! He's worth it! If you're in the area you should go! In the second hour I have brand new stuff from Joe Bonamassa, The Rides, Bonnie Raitt, and he Sam Chase. As usual there's good stuff sprinkled through it all! I hope you like it!


Thanks Jerry and Robin! Always in debt to you two! I'll just keep on keepin' on!

Thanks to you listeners out there! It's always good to hear from you! Please take a second and drop me note or text or whatever! You'd be shocked how good it is to hear from you. I get excited when I think I'm making someone happy somewhere!

Peace and love to you!

Mike 


1 comment:

  1. I've never mentioned this to you before but I have told Liz this many times, you resemble John Mellencamp. Now, seeing that picture of you and Robin, confirms it! I need to be more of a handyman. My A.T.H.P.J. is probably 0.1 because I tend to have other people help me. =(

    ReplyDelete