Saturday, October 22, 2016

Show #232

Hello Friends of the Garden,

While it seems like any other Saturday morning it feels different for some reason. I know what it is. I'm a bachelor this weekend. My wife and a friend are at the coast to see as many scarecrows as they can! I stayed home because I had obligations to be at my school carnival Friday evening. I was happy my wife and LaLaine were able to go and I wished them fun!

The "off" feeling comes from having to decide how you spend that time on your own. Friday was a typically exhausting day, with a day of teaching and a night of being MC of a school carnival. Don't read me wrong on this. It was a nice time at the carnival it just felt like I had to be "on" while dealing with everyone. I'm sure that this profession, like others, requires what feels like a dual personality, one everyone sees and one only friends and loved ones know! 

So, what did my Friday end up like, well, straight home and straight to bed! So much for partying like a mad man while the wife is away! My mind drifts back to all those old cartoons when a character was forced to make a decision and an angel and devil appears on either shoulder. Each voices choices, each with opposite intentions! 

Unfinished!
 I feel the need to be productive and yet I desire to do nothing or anything other than work! Like that "angel" character whispering to me that there is a list of things that need to be done; there is also that "devil" character that encourages me to be lazy! 

I've been here before! In 38 years of marriage I've been on my own many times. My experience is that I have given in to either shoulder with great parity over time! Each with their own distinct form of regret and satisfaction, weird!

Finished!
Made entirely from scrap!
Like anything else, it's some kind of natural balance that presents natural questions. Why build a cornhole board if you don't stop to play it? What good is building a chair if you can't sit still to enjoy it? What's the point of working your tail off if you don't take time to appreciate the respite you earn? Typical "devil" talk if you don't recognize it.
Another from scrap project

Sorry "angel", the cornhole board has been neglected long enough! That list of stuff will be there any way! Now, I'll see if I can persuade a friend to join me! Next week "angel"!

Here's Show #232! First off, brand new Head and the Heart by suggestion. Then I turned to a bunch of my "three named guys". I am so excited to play Norah Jones from her new album, she covers a really cool Neil Young song! AWESOME! This show has a core of Garden Party standard artists. I just felt like playing them out of comfort like putting on a comfortable shirt!  I hope you enjoy my selections for this week!

Hey Jerry and Robin, isn't it crazy how long we've been at this together? I can't imagine having done it without you two! Thanks!

Thanks to all of you listeners too! Please consider going to kfsr.org and donating to keep this small, little station alive! Honestly any small amount goes a long way and I know I appreciate the opportunity to do what I do with your support!

Peace and love!

Mike
Attachments area

1 comment:

  1. Hearing you on the mic Friday night at the carnival, it was like having a live KFSR remote. I like the angel and devil reference. Reminds of the George Burns movie, "Oh God, You Devil!".

    ReplyDelete