Saturday, December 17, 2016

Show #240

Hello Friends of the Garden!


Fresno after rain!
Well we finally had significant rain this week! It was so nice! I love the way you can see the mountains after the rain clears the air here! It's like lifting a cheesecloth off and everything comes in to focus! There is beauty here! It's just "well veiled" like a lot of things!
Fresno air in the summer!
You need a knife to cut it!

Never thought I'd see the day!
Change can be "well veiled" too! Lately I've been hearing crazy construction noise from a distance at my house. The old Swiss Colony Winery on Clovis Avenue near Ashlan is finally being torn down! When I first moved here there were hardly any homes there at all! You could see only a few homes sprinkled out there with mountains on the horizon! 

No lie here!
Things change! They do! Sometimes it's insidiously slow and imperceptible and other times it's abrupt! Either way, it's a challenge to accept and adapt with it! I don't believe any one is immune to the anxiety of change I just believe that many are capable of keeping that anxiety "well veiled"! I've always been jealous of people with this ability!

I suppose if there's a "Bactine" for the sting of change it would have to be the most effective treatment of all and that's love! When everything seems darkest and uncertain, the love and support of friends and family is the most powerful cure! I can't imagine people that don't have that to rely on! 

This last Wednesday, my friend Mark stopped by after dropping his Mom off at a local retirement facility. Mark was advised not to visit his Mom for three days to allow her time to adjust. I could tell the change weighed on him! I had a lot on my mind too! Together we watched the rain fall from the dark sky from security of my messy garage! Sometimes the only sound was the rain, both of us quiet and contemplative. We just were there for each other! I found great comfort in that. I hope Mark did too!

From 1962! Amazing!
After Mark left that afternoon I could still hear the distant sound of demolition equipment at the winery. I just accepted that thing would be there forever! That afternoon I realized something I've known all along, things will change but, people, important people will always be there, in your heart and in your soul! Even long after they've left this Earth they leave a monument that can't be torn down!

Thanks to all of you out there that have cared for me this way! I owe you!

On to Show #240! Well, losing Greg Lake this past week sent me in to a classic rock tailspin! I just kept thinking of tunes from the past! So if this tunes you off be comforted by your knowledge of the history of my show! It changes! So, the first hour purges those classic rock addictions! There's deeper tracks here and old familiar ones that are like a comfortable old shirt. The second hour starts to turn away from the classic rock and gets that SGP feel again. Kurt, I put that Merle Haggard song in for you after our last conversation! I love how he reminisces on the pleasures of the past in the lyrics, truly heartfelt! Heartfelt, just like I like to do my show! I never just mail it in! I hope that is obvious and appreciated!

Hey, it's been a while since I've seen you Jerry! I know you have stuff going on! Looking forward to seeing you soon! Robin, you have been my rock lately and I'm so thankful for you! I'd be hopeless without your love and support! I love you!

Thanks to all of you listeners, especially you Don Wright! It was a joy to hang with you during my show! Let's do that some more! Hey, if any of you local buddies want to hang with me at the studio just let me know! I love the phone calls too (559-278-5377) they are fuel for the fire that burns in me!

Peace and love!

Mike

1 comment:

  1. I agree what you say about change. I was looking at our staff picture the first year you started at Fairmont and wow, talk about change! By the way, caring about you is EASY! No IOU's are necessary. =)

    ReplyDelete