Saturday, April 29, 2017

Show# 259

Hello Friends of the Garden!

Repairing the bathroom falls
into the category of "Have" to!
This morning my mind is in a flurry of thoughts. There are so many things that need attention. Stuff that requires focus and contemplation. All of those things consist of a myriad of important things to the insignificant (to anyone else). I suppose that's the key, to prioritize the important tasks from the insignificant. 

It was important to fix that
break in some wiring under
my house!
The dilemma in the prioritization is identifying the important from the insignificant! I feel safe in saying that the important stuff is generally associated with the things you "have" to do. Conversely, the insignificant is usually a wishful list of things you "want" to do. The important tasks are typically time sensitive! This is where the term ASAP and other descriptors amplify the need for immediate focus. The joy in most of the important tasks is found in the completion of it! Get it done, put this behind me, finish this off, are the little motivating phrases in anticipation of closure. 

The never-ending
construction of the
Sagrada Familia in
Barcelona!
The insignificant tasks are more open ended, not only in regards to time but also in its solution. The "want" to stuff is given much more latitude. Phrases like, "It's a work in progress," connote the notion of an unending, yet relaxed quest for satisfaction. Taking away the time sensitive nature of the "want" to stuff usually leads to more creative and unorthodox solutions. It's an odd thing that we give ourselves more time to contemplate the insignificant than the important.

Trying my hardest to do a good job!
The quality and satisfaction of each type of demand lie in part to its origination. The "have" to's tend to come from external sources, while the "want" to's are more personal. It's easy to forgive yourself for the varying degree of success or failure of the important tasks. There are a multitude of euphemisms ready and waiting to soften the blow. "I tried my hardest,", "I'll do better next time,", and "This has always been a struggle for me," all come up quickly to soothe the sting of not reaching an acceptable result. It's as if we need to establish immediate and reasonable expectations to others to prevent ourselves for feeling bad.

I'd rather hunt sea glass!
Those two big pieces are
"posers" that my buddy
Mark tried to fool me
with! He bought 'em!
The "want" to tasks rarely face the scrutiny of the "have" to's. Consequently, the insignificant tasks rarely require rationalization, euphemisms are not necessary. When we look at the way we approach the insignificant it's much more conducive to success. Better still, the relaxed addressing of the "want" to's allows for the innovation and creativity so often missing in the "have" to tasks. 

Being susceptible to, and driven by the need to feel successful, I see myself frequently falling to the frailty of human nature. I want to be good at everything! In regards to the "have" to tasks I'm motivated by the fear of displeasing others more so than pleasing. The "want" to tasks enjoy being free of those ridiculous and unreasonable restraints! The whole thing seems so obviously backwards.

Unfortunately, our modern world has imposed the tyrant of time! We need an answer and we need it now! Here's an example for you. At it's inception the Affordable Care Act was described as having flaws by its creator with the anticipation of adjustment. Necessity overrode specificity exacerbated by time! The quick and simple counterpart suggested by the "Repeal and Replace" proponents has been neither quick or simple! It's easy to quickly identify the admitted flaws, it apparently is not as easy to attain the specificity as rapidly! Think about it, "We 'have' to repeal the ACA and we 'want' to replace it."

Right again Boss! Amazing!
Please don't take this opportunity to polarize yourself. I'm cynical enough to see the flaw in both sides! I've always found myself somewhere closer to the middle on things. Right where nobody wants to be! There simply is no honor in not being sure on what is definitely right or wrong. It is the ultimate statement of weakness to admit being wrong! Well, there you are, just never be wrong! Just say it to yourself a few times, "I'm never wrong, I'm never wrong......" Each time you say it, it's harder to say with conviction. 

Hmm, all that wing flapping? Surely
that's insignificant! Right?
Maybe if we could see a little more significance in the insignificant we could learn to make the important a little more unimportant. Allowing forgiveness for the constraints of necessity and time we may find better solutions by giving importance to the purported insignificant.

Here's Show #259! First off, last weekend was a blast! I had so much fun with my friends Mark and Jennifer with me in the studio! Thanks you two for being there! I figured this week I'd just cover more of the things I couldn't squeeze in last week. I guess the ones I'm looking forward to are the Dr. john, Paul Thorn, Elvin Bishop and Todd Snider set. In the second hour I'm excited to play the Asleep at the Wheel, Devil Makes Three and Brothers Comatose set. With the latter two coming to Fresno on the 25th! I guess I played the Michael Franti as a "seventh inning stretch" song, really I just wanted to dance in the studio! I've learned to embrace predictability and spice it with the unknown. It's a balance! There's plenty here to keep you entertained!

Well, we are just going to keep at it Jerry and Robin! With your help, no telling where we will go! Thanks for having my back these last five years!

Thanks too, to all you patient and kind listeners! Over these last five years those of you who have given me encouragement have done so most graciously! Every single bit of interest has been significant to me! It means so much!

Peace and love,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment